Sleep apnea is a condition that millions of Americans deal with, but many are undiagnosed and unaware of the effect it has on their quality of sleep and health. Fortunately, most cases of sleep apnea in Atlanta, GA, can be easily treated, but it must first be diagnosed by a professional. If you are concerned about the lack or quality of the sleep you are getting, you may want to watch for the following signs that you need more intensive treatment.
Most Common Signs
There are different types of sleep apnea and it can be difficult to determine if you are suffering from the condition. The most common signs to watch for include:
- Difficulty staying asleep
- Attention problems
- Sleepiness during the day
- Loud snoring
- Shortness of breath after abrupt awakenings in the night
- Morning headaches
- Dry mouth or sore throat when you wake up
- Cessation of breathing during the night that another person witnesses
Sleep apnea is a condition that can cause your breathing to stop and start while you are sleeping, making you tired and irritable even after it appears that you have had a full night’s sleep.
When to Seek Help
At Atlanta Dental Solutions, Dr. Becker is a dentist in Atlanta, GA, that is highly qualified to diagnose and treat sleep apnea. You should visit us when you notice the following things:
- Pauses during your breath while you are sleeping
- Choking, gasping for air or shortness of breath that wakes you while you are sleeping
- Snoring that disturbs you or others around you because it is so loud
- Drowsiness during the day that can affect your ability to drive, work or complete simple everyday tasks
Apnea is a condition that can be treated, and you can go back to enjoying your life with higher-quality sleep in just a few simple steps. If you fear you or someone you love is dealing with this condition, we encourage you to call us today to schedule an appointment with a professional.